How can I have certain text automatically fill in when creating new items?
Use My Products to design Item Description Templates
We are frequently asked for ways to have certain text and settings automatically inserted into items as they are created.
When creating a new item that is fabric, certain text can be automatically inserted into the description fields.
- Add text to the 'Client' and/or 'Vendor' description such as
- Add text to 'Finish Description'
- Set a default sales code to 'Fabric'
- Set a default unit such as 'Sq Yds'
- Set a default Item Code 1 & 2.
Although we don't have a function specifically for this purpose, we have found easy solution that works well:
- Create a Vendor called 'Template'
- Create a new product in 'My Products' with the text & settings you want to automatically fill in when creating a new Item.
- Apply the product to a new item, then update the vendor, etc. to reflect the appropriate options.
Create a Product within My Products
- Select Projects;
- Select Products;
- Select + New Product
In the example below, we've used a vendor named TEMPLATE, but you can use any generic vendor you prefer since you'll change the vendor on the actual item when you create it.
We've named the product FABRIC so it's obvious when selecting the product for a new item.
Fill in the default settings and text that you want to transfer over to the new item.
Scroll down to see the Description information and enter text you want to come in when selecting this Product for a new item.
Apply the Product to an Item
- Create a new 'Item' (or view an existing item)
- Select your product template (Fabric) from the 'My Products' list.
- The default settings & text will automatically populate the new item.
- Update and Edit all the necessary fields as you normally would when creating an item.
- Fill in the details for the imported text in the Description fields.
Note: This is a great way to save time typing generic text into the description fields. This can also help insure consistent description information is entered for certain types of items, like fabric, in a format you like.