This help article will walk you through creating products and assigning them to projects.
The purpose behind My Products is essentially to create a catalog of items that you sell frequently. This makes sourcing the item much easier and faster rather than going to the vendor/manufacturer's website and importing the items information into the system.
Create a New Product
A new product can be created either within the Products page or from an existing item's page.
Create from Products page:
- Head to Projects > Products and click +New Product
- Fill in the fields you deem necessary for this product, or item template, to have
Note: Product #, My Vendor, & Sales Code are required fields.
One important thing is to create a Product #. Commonly, this is the same number used by the Vendor assigned to the product, otherwise it can be anything you choose.
Create from existing Item:
- Head to Projects > Items > (select item) > Edit
- Click Move To New Product
- Enter a Product # and click Save
- Review the newly created product via Projects > Products
Using My Products
Products can be viewed via Projects > Products and are available for use when creating a new item for a client or project.
To apply a product template to a new item, follow the below steps:
- Click + New Item
- Click My Products to expand the dropdown
- Select the Product # you assigned the item; this will import the information that you added to the item's shell
- Complete the other required information as you would normally do when creating a new item
- Save the item
Tip: Use the Search icon to the right if you are having difficulty locating your target Product #
Description: The summary description of the item.
My Vendor: The Vendor the product is purchased from.
Product #: Most commonly this is the same as the vendor's assigned product #, but can be anything you choose.
Purchase Cost: The purchase cost of the product.
Selling Price: The base selling price of this product.
(Normally designer net which would match the purchase cost. Mark up will automatically be applied if one is present on the codes tab of the client's address record when this product is used to create an item to sell.)
Retail Price: The retail price the product is sold for.
(Note: This is not inserted anywhere into the item when sold.)
Sales Code: The sales code default when a new item is created with this product.
Studio Vendor: If the vendor for this product is a member of the Vendor Portal, select the vendor here.
Unit: The unit of measure.
Category: Select a category from the list.
(This list is maintained by Studio Designer for use in the Studio Designer Market and Product Catalogs and cannot be modified by users.)
Sub Category: Optional - select a sub category if one is available and applicable.
Item Code 1: The item code 1 defaults to new items entered for this Product.
Item Code 2: The item code 2 defaults to new items entered for this Product.
- Product Tags: A list of custom tags can be created and used to 'tag' your products. To create and edit your list of Product Tags, click here.
- Description Fields:
- Notes: Internal only for your records
- Finish: Finish details for the product
- Client Description: This is the detailed client description that will be copied over
- COM: Customers own material details and requirements
- Dimensions: Dimensions of the product
- Options: Details on various options for the product
- Images: Import images of the product
- Favorite: Designate this product as a favorite for easy sorting
Tip: Add to Design Project is a quick way to create an new item in your Items list and assign it to a client or project.
Icon is also available in the Products listing.
Note: All product details including costs must be maintained by you. Always confirm pricing and other details with your vendor.