When using payment processors like Stripe or PayPal, you will receive payments net the fees for the transaction. Here is how you can record these payments through Studio Designer accounting.
Record full payment amount from the client in Money In
When you receive a client payment, record the full payment amount in Money In. In the Amount field, enter the full amount your client paid, not the actual amount that you received into your bank. You can apply the funds to invoices and proposals as usual.
Record an Office Payment for the fee amount
Go to Money Out > Office Payments, and record a payment to your payment processor for the fees.
- Set the Pay to as Stripe or whatever payment processor you used (You will need to create an Address ID for the payment processor)
- Set the Cash Account to the bank account you received the funds to
- Set the Payment Code to Manual
- Enter information in the Description field to denote this as a fee payment
- Click New Distribution and set the Expense Account. You should consult with your CPA on the best Expense Account, but it will likely be an account for recording processing fees.
- Click Save and Close
- On the main Money Out page, click Post Manual to post the fee payment
This will record the payment and fees to your bank account. Then when you reconcile your bank account statement, you will reconcile the full cash receipt and the fee payment to equal the net amount you actually received into your bank account.